New 52: The First Bunch.

First off, Justice League...
  I found it odd that in the last issue of DC olds' Flashpoint #5 there was very little reference to a changed world and then in the same week we are given an issue set 5 years in the past of the new timeline. This would be incredibly confusing for new readers attempting to join in. One minute we have Flash and Batman chatting away like friends then next minute we have Green Lantern discovering Batman is real and meeting for the first time. There isn't a great deal of setting the scene, or that this is in the past, other than the miniscule caption at the top of page one.

  Characterisation seems a bit off too if you ask me. I get that Green Lantern is cocky but do Batman and Superman also have to come off as arrogant?
  Art isn't to my liking but I can appreciate the detailed work. I was never a fan of Jim Lee but I acknowledge he is good at what he does. The redesigned costumes are tricky to keep consistent. I knew this would be the case from the second I saw them and with there only being the two characters so heavily featured throughout, I reread this and stared panel to panel and sure enough the costume details are inconsistent. Like for example the lined padding on Batman's neck. Small quibble but thats what the redesigns were bound to do. Plus this is with a pretty detailed professional so God knows how a newby to the art duties would handle it.
  As for Darksied's involvement, I was almost disappointed that it was a villain we knew that would be in the first arc. I was really rooting for some new characters so it's a shame the re-jiggering isn't all that different. I suppose it makes sense that a big hitter would be a good villain to recquire assembling the Justice League for the first time but did it have to be someone we knew?
  The fear and hating of powered vigilantes has been done to death in X-men so I am a little hesitant as to what new things DC could bring to the concept.
  I aren't sure about the cliff hanger either. I mean come on! How many time do heroes have to fight then realise they are on the same side, and then team up. Cliché much?
  A fair enough if slow start to the main book of the DCnU (and I mean slowww, the 4th cover for the title was released recently and it has Aquaman on it, so if they only meet him in the 4th issue how long is it going to take to assemble this League). I'm glad that it wasn't just a few members sat around choosing whom makes the team, so it that sense its refreshing.

Action Comics...
  So Superman is a cocky anti-hero. Unconventional methods to get great results. Almost bullying the bad guys into making confessions. I can't help but have this remind me of Batman.
  Again we see the world that fears and hates superheroes unless they are being saved by them. Already been done in X-men.
  A few nice plot threads laid down here, Clark living in a rented apartment with a landlord called Mrs Nyxly, sounds a lot like Mxyzptlk. Or is that just me? Luthor being unconventionally drafted in by the police/ army to catch Superman. But what's his motivation for it? Clark working for a separate paper then Jimmy and Lois. Plenty of old school Superman action, saving trains throwing cars etc. Very iconic to the mythology but with a great twist on things simply by changing his personality.
  Again it's another book where the cliff hanger means very little to me. Oh no he's trapped. He will get out of it for Godsake! He's almost unstoppable, just let him recharge in the sun a bit. Although saying that a cover for a later issue has been released with Supes in an electric chair. Could he be held captive by the government a la Flashpoint? That would be refreshing.
  Art is nothing special but it suits the book to a T.

Stormwatch...
  I aren't all too familiar with the Wildstorm characters, I just wanted to support one of the Paul Cornell books. There are lots of interesting characters here with very intriguing powers. I am looking forward to seeing how Apollo and Midnighter who were originally parodies of Superman and Batman, fit into the DCU with there immense powers and personalities. Good idea to add Martian Manhunter into the mix to ease a newby like me into this. The book has great art and the heavy black borders around the panels give this a very cinematic quality.
  A strong start and lots of directions can be taken with this book. Can't wait to read more.

Justice League International...
  So this is playing more heavily on it's roots than the other Justice League book. It's UN funded and arranged. With a leader, Booster, that they can easily manipulate. Good job Batman has forced his way onto the team to act as a liaison with the main JL.
  Lots of characters I know as well as ones I don't. General in Iron seems like a great counterpart for Red Rocket and lots of dialogue between the two is hilarious. I want to get to know the characters that I don't already so it feels more compelling. Great juggling of such a massive team. Very fast moving.
  Already within about ten pages they are off on their first mission. Although you know the team will fight off the robot in the cliff hanger, I still want to read more to find out what's been going on underground as well as just seeing more character interactions.
  They have picked the best parts from previous JLI books and combined them for the better. Classic art that just carries on the feel of the Generation lost book.

Batgirl...
  Not as good as I wanted it to be. It seems like the Killing Joke still happened and the only way Barbara got better was from months of therapy and learning to walk again. Not really a quick fix but very brushed over. Essential though to get straight into the action. A sort of lose lose scenario.
  I bought this as I am a big fan of Simone on her previous Secret Six book. She tends to have much better stories when she has more than one character. Her dialogue works wonders on any book. With one character though there was less of that. It had a moodier feel to it.
  Nice to see a flawed hero as she pauses at the worst time possible, frozen in fear, gun pointed at her, as she has flashbacks to being crippled. With the worst outcome.
  The art is really hit and miss. Sometimes capturing great scenes and other times the layout stages seems to have let the finish down. This book is one that I'm going to give more of a chance to. I think it will get better with time.

Animal Man...
  If you are looking for the new gems of this new world order, then here's one of them. The pages are so beautifully drawn. For a week so typically crammed with messy, scribbly and very typically of what I would imagine DC books look like this was a breath of fresh awesome. I actually like his costume redesign. It's in story continuity that he changes his life a lot. The bad guy has genuine motive to be holding a hospital hostage. Then the visions in his dream and the stark reality of his daughter, Maxine's power manifestation. Now that is a cliff hanger that leaves me begging for more. Best of the week by far.
 This went way over my expectations, a perfectly plotted book. Three parts: set up, rescue, dilemma. Deliciously dark. Great story telling and not your average superhero book. I'd even recommend this to spandex haters.

Well that's all I bought this week for the DC relaunch. More of my thoughts soonish.
New 52: The First Bunch. New 52: The First Bunch. Reviewed by Matt on 03:55:00 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.