7th May 2011 Free Comic Book Day!

Well this is really late but it was a good one. Lots of stuff out, and all of the pics from comic shops in the US looked like it was a fun one. I'm in the UK however and there is no where near enough hype around it. Other than a small circle of people that like comics enough to go weekly to get new releases. Where I am from, Hull in the North East of England, we only have the one comic shop that gets new release weekly (there's a couple more but they are just second hand or antique things), so there was only the one shop to go too. Only two spinner racks at the front of the shop for people to grab from. Not even that many people making the effort to get free things, but it was a bit busier than normal. So that's something. I also got handed a goody bag by the owner of the store with the whole set of his FCBD books in. 12 in total. Which was really nice as there were signs up saying only four per customer.
Here's what I got: The Captain America/ Thor book, The Amazing Spiderman, Green Lantern Special Edition (what the hell, a reprint DC?! Come on you have plenty of new stuff you could have sampled!!!), Young Justice/ Brave and the Bold Sampler, Baltimore/ Criminal Macabre flip book, Atomic Robo, Locke and Key, Spontaneous, Witch and Wizard (AAH MANGA!!!), Jake the Dreaming (it's free comic day not free illustrated novel day, Ugh!), Elric and the Mouse Guard/ Dark Crystal flipbook. Not that bad- a nice variety, not all to my tastes but that's what FCBD is about, getting books in your hands you don't normally pick up.


For the full list of stuff that came out got HERE. I also wish I could have got my hands on the Super Dinosaur origin book, 2000AD, Bongo Comics, Ice, Adam West, Top Shelf sampler and the Tick books. But that's just me being greedy.
I shan't review all of them as I am behind enough and aren't that insane. I was really wowed by both Marvel books, great art and fun stories. The DC all ages one was nice to get my hands on as I don't normally go there. Same with Baltimore and Atomic Robo, great art and not what I normally go for. Haven't got round to reading the rest. I should probably read Locke and Key though to see what all the hype is about.
7th May 2011 Free Comic Book Day! 7th May 2011 Free Comic Book Day! Reviewed by Matt on 23:55:00 Rating: 5

No comments:

Powered by Blogger.