Knight and Squire #5

I find myself buying this purely to support Paul Cornell. I've loved everything he's done. Especially super heroes. Especially British heroes, Captain Britain and MI 13 anyone? I've got the entire run signed. This however, is a faux British mickey take. It has it's moments, but the last thing we need is more Americans thinking Brit's are ACTUALLY like this! I have never had tea with the queen. We don't all have milkmen. I don't constantly use words like toodle pip and I barely know anyone who has ever worn a top hat. In fact when I was over in the states, visiting New York, NOBODY could place my accent. Plus there are places other than London.
People say that it's fine seen as Paul Cornell is British, but it's not helping. Clearly this version of Britain is set in stone now in the DC universe. As the Batman inc. stories will no doubt return to them. I don't think other countries were so absorbed in their stereotypes?



Anyway rant over. The art is pretty sweet in each issue. Story wise we have an interesting twist as the actual Joker wants the terminally ill Jarvis Poker the British Joker as his sidekick for some massive prank in Newcastle. God knows where this is going. Cant wait till Cornell gets put on some other title instead.
Knight and Squire #5 Knight and Squire #5 Reviewed by Matt on 07:34:00 Rating: 5

2 comments:

  1. Same here. I've given up buying comics regularly for now (don't have enough money. Bah!) but been getting this to support the awesomness that is Cornell. It's pretty f'ing off the wall though isn't it?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently went full time and happen to be buying too many. It is bonkers as hell, I do love the random british superheroes!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.